PO Box 22736
Kansas City, MO 64113
Passionate, results-driven web development professional with a broad and extensive range of real world-experience. Pragmatic yet creative, enjoys a challenge and the work it takes to solve it.
- 10+ years experience developing small- to large-scale web sites and applications using Ruby on Rails, PHP, and mod_perl.
- iOS and Android development.
- Experience developing web-based e-commerce applications and APIs.
- Comfortable using multiple development environments: Linux (Vim), Mac OS X (MacVim, Xcode, TextMate), Windows (Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010).
- Co-author of a Perl book (McGraw-Hill).
- Technical Reviewer: Manning (technical review of The Well Grounded Rubyist, 2nd Edition, Learn Android in a Month of Lunches, review of various book proposals), Packt (technical review of jQuery 2.0 Animations, Mastering Android Animation, WordPress Web Application Development)
- Keep current with technology trends and implementing new languages and frameworks where applicable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Frameworks: Ruby on Rails (1, 2, & 3), Sinatra, Padrino, WordPress, Magento, CakePHP, Zend, Drupal, Joomla, ASP.NET
- Mobile: Android, iOS
- Testing: Test Unit, RSpec, Cucumber, Tsung, PHP Unit
- Microsoft: ASP.NET 2.0/3.5, C#, ADO.NET, SQL Server 2005/2008, Classic ASP, Visual Studio 2005/2008
- Web/App Servers: Apache (1.x, 2.x), Nginx, Mongrel, IIS, Tomcat(3.x-6.x)
- Databases: MySQL, MSSQL, PostgreSQL,SQLite, Berkeley DB
- Operating Systems: Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat), Mac OS X, Windows (XP, 2000, NT, 95/98)
- E-Commerce: E-Commerce programming APIs (Ruby, PHP, C#, Perl, XML, C, Java) – PayPal Payflow Pro, Verisign, First Data (Linkpoint), Clear Commerce, PayJunction, Cingular, Yaga, Clickshare
- Release Engineering: Git, github, Subversion, Make, Rake, Paver, CPAN, PEAR
Andrews McMeel Universal
Senior Software Developer
- Mobile development – Android/iOS.
- Developer of GoComics for Android.
- Support GoComics for iOS.
- Data warehousing – Using Go for data aggregation.
- GoComics Daily Email – porting from Perl to Go.
- Development of RESTful web services with Rails 3, Padrino, Sinatra.
- Development of Ruby gems to interface with interal web serivces and APIs.
- Support, maintenance, and development of e-commerce systems – Perl, mod_perl, Ruby, ActiveMerchant.
- Support, maintenance, and development of both low- and high-traffic web sites including Uclick Syndication, Upuzzles.com, and GoComics.com – Ruby on Rails 2 & 3, mod_perl.
- Maintenance and enhancements of legacy high-volume mailing list written in Perl.
- Admin scripting with Python.
- Mentoring of junior developers.
Datasystem Solutions, Inc
Software Engineer/Web Developer
Mar 2010-Feb 2011
- Development of ecommerce web applications using PHP, including WordPress plugins, Magento extensions, and Zend framework.
- Development of web services using Tomcat, Java, and Jersey.
- Development of custom invoice system using Java, Apache FOP, and Python.
- System administration scripting using Python.
- System administration duties include installation of Apache, PHP, MySQL, Tomcat, Magento, WordPress on Linux servers.
Ruby on Rails Consultant
Jul 2009-Mar 2010
- Development and maintenance of enterprise digital incentive management application customer admin tool (digital coupons).
- Two weeks at Hashrocket (Jacksonville Beach, FL) pairing with Hashrocket developers working on Zavers admin application.
Contract Web Developer
- Custom WordPress plugins and modifications of existing plugins per client requirements.
- Using WordPress as an application development platform for corporate client.
- WordPress maintenance/troubleshooting/debugging.
- WordPress security.
- Android/iOS development.
- Custom Magento extensions.
- Developed Magento web services with jQuery spidergraph frontend.
- Custom scripts to import non-Magento databases to Magento.
- Ruby on Rails rescue. Convert old Rails 1 and 2 sites to Ruby on Rails 3.
- CakePHP development.
- Built OO-PHP module used by Nuvio for converting audio file formats.
- Designed, developed, and maintain a number of city EDC web sites using ASP.NET.
- Build custom module for gateway not included in VevoCart shopping cart (C#).
- Intensive interaction with client to gather requirements and feature requests.
- Multi-task and prioritize to meet deadlines.
Feb 1999-Jun 2009
- Worked with team to port and combine GoComics and MyComicsPage web sites into a single GoComics.com using Ruby on Rails. Using Agile programming methodologies including TTD (Test Driven Development) and unit testing.
- Developed RESTful web service with Ruby on Rails to provide account information and login validation for MyComicsPage.com. TDD with unit and functional tests. Required integration with legacy database schema.
- Built SMS messaging application using Flex 3 for the front end and Ruby on Rails for a backend web service to integrate with Bango for message delivery. Launched to Gocomics and Virgin Comics.
- Communicated directly with UClick partner to design and build RESTful web service API to integrate with downloadable crossword game using mod_perl and MySQL.
- Cingular mobile subscription integration. Developed web service to receive XML notification messages from Cingular External Notification Server for mobile MRC (monthly recurring charges) subscriptions. XML notification messages are used to add or update mobile subscription records in UClick database. Communicated directly with vendor support and sales staff.
- Developed mobile subscription verification service. Mobile applications contact verification service to validate mobile user’s subscription status.
- Wrote and delivered PHP code to UClick syndication client to enable navigation of UClick content hosted by client per client specifications.
- Developed UClick template driven syndication site using Linux, Apache, mod_perl and MySQL database (prototype written with JRun, Java Servlets/JSP, PostgreSQL). This site is used to syndicate daily content to nearly 300 clients, including The New York Times, The Washington Post and Dallas Morning News.
- Built a subscription-based, personalized comics site, MyComicsPage.com, using mod_perl, Apache::Session, Template-Toolkit, Apache and MySQL. Responsible for upgrade when backend moved to Apache 2 and mod_perl 2
- Rebuilt “GoComics.com” using Perl, mod_perl, Template-Toolkit, Apache and MySQL. This system was built in one week and replaced a proprietary system that used ColdFusion and Oracle.
- Designed and programmed ComicsSherpa.com, a subscription-based site for undiscovered, aspiring cartoonists using mod_perl, Apache::Session, Template-Toolkit, Apache and MySQL.
- Developed backend system to integrate Calvin and Hobbes book sales with credit card processor (Verisign) and shipping warehouse.
- Designed and built a registration/commerce system for UClick’s subscription, download, and hardgood products using Linux, Apache, mod_perl. Interfaced with multiple card processors – built UClick Commerce module for common API to all our processors.
- Designed and programmed UPuzzles.com. This is a completely dynamic and templated site using Linux, Apache, mod_perl, Template-Toolkit, Tomcat and Oracle.
- Developed several Ajax applications including content calendar and infinite scroll for GoGomics.com (prototype.js), captcha for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles SMS promotion, and Geo Targeting for OAS and banner ads on static web site using C-based Geo IP application and country database, and Perl Geo::IP wrapper on the server.
- Designed and implemented a game serial number generator for download and CD-ROM games using Java 1.6.
- Created a jar file to provide an API for serial generator. Built a JSF front end on Tomcat 6 for internal customer service.
- Installed and configured Tomcat 6 with jsvc. Responsible for maintaining and configuration of all Tomcat servers and Java code deployment for server-side wireless applications.
- Built prototype comic widget with Flash 8. Flash application calls and parses dynamic XML file to load data.
- Developed Perl module and scripts to automate conversion of AcrossLite binary data files to XML (XML::DOM and AcrossLite::Convert).
- Wrote Perl scripts to convert eps files into xml files. The xml files are then parsed using XML::DOM to create data files needed for online games.
- Developed automated system using Perl and XML::Parser to parse client XML data and build HTML pages on the fly.
- Developed e-commerce application “Suitable for Framing” using Perl and C. Mentioned in Augsut 1, 1999 Internet World Magazine.
- Integrated OAS and TrialPay online advertising to GoComics.com.
- Lead author “Instant Perl Modules,” McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- Technical Reviewer:
- WordPress Web Application Development (Packt)
- Query 2.0 Animations (Packt)
- Mastering Android Animation (Packt)
- The Well Grounded Rubyist, 2nd Edition (Manning)
- Learn Android in a Month of Lunches (Manning)
- Comics on Rails (with Scott Kahler): Highlight Midwest, October 29, 2009.
- University of Missouri at Kansas City – Kansas City, Missouri
- 30+ hours in Computer Science – 3.67 GPA
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Central Missouri State University – Warrensburg, Missouri
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics Technology, Minor in Music
Doug Sparling — firstname.lastname@example.org — 816.304.6258